Monroe Library Blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

I was going through the day's mail on my arrival at work, as usual tossing most of it in the recycle bin.

Among the junk mail was an envelope hand-addressed to me, with a Yakima return address.

Inside was a hand-written note and an enclosed advertising brochure.

"Dear Ms. Lewis,

This piece of mail got stuck inside some of our mail.

I don't know if it's something you really need, but I decided to send it on. The last time I tried to return something to the P.O. tht was incorrectly delivered to us, the clerk discarded it saying it was just junk mail.

I would like to think that if my mail gets delivered to the wrong place, tht someone would take the time to get it to me.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas."

I did indeed toss the brochure, but I have thought about the note that came with it ever since. A stranger on the other side of the state took time and spent money on a stamp to do for another person what she would want done for her, and to top it off, wrote me an inspiring note.

3 comments:

  1. thank the Lord there are so many nice people in this world

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lady gave wonderful gifts...the gifts of time and caring...when she personally took those moments to help another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice little tale of humanity. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete